Clearing out the garage
Whether you’re looking to clear out your garage ahead of a house move, transform the space into a state-of-the-art gym or would prefer to park your car in there as opposed to using it as a storage facility, then you will need to clear out your garage. Often, this can seem like a relatively daunting task depending on the size of your garage and the amount you have to sort through. But don’t worry, because here at Hinton’s, we’ve compiled a list of helpful hints and tips to help you get your garage sorted in no time. Download the infographic or click the hotspot below.
Click on the green and yellow hotspots to find out what you can and can't put in a skip.
- Tiles – these can be put in a skip along with ceramics.
- Furniture – old pieces of furniture can be put into one of our skips.
- Fittings – any cupboards, drawers and old shelves can be disposed of in one of our skips.
- Wood – wood of varying types and sizes and be disposed of using a skip.
- Electrical items – instead of placing these in a skip, they should be taken to a WEEE recycling facility, this includes power tools.
- Aerosols – check with your local council as to whether they can be recycled at a local facility as these cannot be disposed of in a skip.
- Gas canisters – these must either be returned to the supplier or taken to a household waste centre for recycling. These cannot be disposed of in one of our skips.
- Paint cans – whether empty or full, we do not accept paint cans.
- Tyres – old tyres can be recycled or donated, so contact your local council to find out more. However, you cannot dispose of them in one of our skips.
- Car batteries – these must be disposed of at a hazardous waste centre and cannot be placed in one of our skips.
Set aside the time
It’s important that you allocate some time to sort through the items in your garage. Depending on the size of the garage and its contents, you may need to set more time aside to take on the job. Perhaps choose a day over the weekend when more people will be free to lend a helping hand. The weather can also make a huge difference, so make sure you aren’t doing it on a boiling hot day or when it’s cold enough to snow.
Start off small
Choose a specific section to start with first. Sorting through your belongings in bitesize chunks will help to break the task down, making it considerably more manageable.
Throw away, sell or donate items as you go
As you’re sorting through smaller sections, decide what to do with each item along the way. Create four different piles – things to keep, things to sell, things to donate and things to throw away. As you’re sorting, place the items in the appropriate pile and don’t go back on any decisions you’ve made.
If you’re in need of a waste management solution, Hinton’s are always happy to help. From wheelie bins to 8 yard skips available for hire, we’ll have you reliably covered.
Clean what you can
Garages are notorious for collecting copious amounts of dust and dirt, so once the garage is clear, give it a thorough clean. From mopping the floor and scrubbing the walls to wiping down surfaces and vacuuming cobwebs off the ceiling, now is the perfect opportunity to give your garage a deep clean.
If you’re planning on using your garage as storage space for the foreseeable future, then you might want to consider buying a shelving unit or an alternative storage solution. You might want to label boxes and bags for your ultimate convenience, making it easier for you to find what you need when the time comes.
Here at Hinton’s Waste, we have a wide range of waste management services to suit all projects of any size. From wheelie bins to 8 yard skips, we’ll have a solution that will expertly meet your needs. Our friendly and dedicated team of professionals are always on hand to deliver excellent service every single time. If you’d like to find out more about the services we offer and the skips we provide across Croydon, Sutton and South London, get in touch with us today – we’re always happy to discuss options with you.
Order your skip today
6 Yard Skip
- Small scale home renovations
- Garden improvements
8 Yard Skip
- Small scale construction work
- Demolition projects
10 Yard Skip
- House clearances
- Small building sites
12 Yard Skip
- Major house renovations
- Bulky waste
14 Yard Skip
- Building site waste
- Refurbishment projects
16 Yard Skip
- Commercial projects
- Site clearances